Counter Culture Certified Barista Program
The barista is the chef of the coffee world, and skilled baristas make a career of creating delicious coffee beverages for consumers. The Counter Culture Certified Barista Program focuses especially on espresso education and preparation. The individual who achieves this certification has attended classes in espresso and milk science, has passed a written test on the course content, and has performed successfully in a practical test before a panel of three professional taste and technical judges. The Certified Barista has therefore demonstrated their knowledge of espresso preparation and their ability to prepare drinks to exacting standards in an examination environment; understands the classic espresso menu; and is well qualified to create and serve high-quality espresso drinks in a coffee bar.
- All Certified Baristas will receive a personalized tamper courtesy of Counter Culture Coffee.
- Counter Culture Coffee employees who pass certification may have membership in the Barista Guild of America subsidized by the company.
Certified Barista Qualifications:
- Completion of Beginner Espresso Lab, Intermediate Espresso Lab, and Milk Chemistry Lab.
- Written exam based on lab materials (86 percent passes)
- Practical exam* (50 percent passes)
* The practical exam is formatted to emulate a modified United States Barista Championship. The barista will have both technical and sensory judges (1 technical, 2 sensory), and will follow rules and guidelines and partial format specified by the USBC, with the following exceptions: number of drinks served; the barista will present two espresso shots, two cappuccinos, and two "wildcard" beverages to standards (café latte, espresso macchiato, or Americano) Scoring criteria will be available for in advance of the exam. If a candidate does not pass either the written or the practical portion of the certification, they may reschedule a makeup exam for a later time.