We often think about coffee sustainability as something related to the places where coffee grows, but it’s a concept that can be applied to brewing as well. The energy and water used to brew coffee contribute substantially to its footprint, so here are some easy ways to make your at-home routine more sustainable:
- Weigh your water before you heat it so that you’re only using as much energy as you need. For this, we recommend digital scales.
- Repurpose or compost your grounds. Plants love coffee grounds and pests hate them, making them a great addition to your garden.
- Turn off your equipment when it’s not in use to save electricity.
- Check your coffee packaging for recyclability or compostability and dispose of accordingly.
- Whether you plan to consume your coffee at home or take it with you to go, choose a reusable mug.