This recipe is a take on the Grand Prix from Maggie Hoffman's Batch Cocktails book.
The Grand Prix was created by Morgan Schick for Villon, a restaurant and lounge in San Francisco’s Proper Hotel, which, you guessed it, serves Counter Culture Coffee. This drink goes full circle! We love that recipe so much that we wanted to recreate it with even MORE coffee. Because there is no such thing as too much coffee.
The Batch Cocktails book is full of amazing recipes made to serve a crowd. The mixture created in the recipe below makes about 12-15 8oz drinks, so it’s perfect for brunch. The original recipe calls for Campari, but we substituted it for pomegranate juice to make it alcohol-free. The drink combines a lot of great ingredients you might not think of putting together but creates something completely scrumptious.
This drink was served at our March Shift Drink event and benefited Casa Ruby (hence the name), an LGBTQ bilingual and multicultural organization that provides social services and programs catering to the most vulnerable in Washington, DC. So make this iced coffee drink to sip in the sun and enjoy the fruity, tart, and delicious roasted coffee notes.
Cafe Ruby Recipe
- 350 grams cold brew coffee. We recommend Hologram.
- 64 grams sugar
- 64 grams water
- 700 grams grapefruit juice
- 500 grams pomegranate juice (Optional: substitute with Campari for an alcoholic version)
- 3 grams sea salt
- Small bottle of tonic water (we prefer Fever Tree tonic waters)
- Ice (preferably crushed)
- Double shot of espresso. We recommend Hologram.
- Grapefruit for garnish
- Make cold brew coffee.
- Make a simple syrup. Simmer sugar and water, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- In a pitcher, combine cold brew, 60 grams of the simple syrup, grapefruit juice, pomegranate juice, and sea salt.
- Fill a glass with crushed ice and pour in 170g of your coffee mix made in step 3.
- Float a few splashes of tonic water over the mixture.
- Pull a double shot of espresso and float it on top of the drink.
- Garnish with a twist of grapefruit.
Shift Drink was a monthly event held throughout 2022. On the last Friday of every month, we opened our Training Centers as a pay-what-you-want pop-up cafe. Each region rotated and choose an organization in their city to raise money for and created a signature beverage to serve. We are back to hosting our cornerstone Tasting at Ten event every Friday at 10am in a city near you. Learn more and stop by for a free tasting!