Nothing beats a boston cream doughnut in a glass!
Every year, the annual Fluff Festival is celebrated right outside of our Training Center doors in Somerville, Massachusetts. This festival celebrates the iconic Marshmallow Fluff that got is start in Somerville and is currently manufactured just 10 miles north of Boston in Lynn, MA.
When it came time for our Boston team to create their Shift Drink recipe, they knew they had to pay homage to Fluff and Boston cream pie. It's a fitting and nostalgic drink that is perfect for the hot weather.
Boston Cream Recipe
Yield: Fluff custard recipe makes 10-12 drinks.
- 350 grams full-fat milk or Oatly Barista Edition Oatmilk
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 454 grams (1 pound) jar room temperature Fluff
- Double shot of espresso. We recommend Hologram.
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Make Fluff Custard. Whisk together 200g milk, cornstarch, and turmeric in a saucepan and over low heat. Break up any clumps and gently stir, keeping the heat below 180F. As soon as you see any coagulation or skin form, stir in the Fluff. Immediately transfer to a jar or container and chill in the fridge. You may adjust the thickness after it’s set by adding small amounts of milk and stirring.
- Fill a glass halfway with ice.
- Add 150g milk to the glass.
- Pull a double shot of espresso and float it over the milk.
- Cover with 85g of your Fluff Custard.
- Dust with cocoa powder.
Shift Drink was a monthly event held throughout 2022. On the last Friday of every month, we opened our Training Centers as a pay-what-you-want pop-up cafe. Each region rotated and choose an organization in their city to raise money for and created a signature beverage to serve. We are back to hosting our cornerstone Tasting at Ten event every Friday at 10am in a city near you. Learn more and stop by for a free tasting!
Make this drink at home and share your photos with #CounterCultureCoffee