An espresso tonic is a classic drink. The light and bright flavors make for a delicious iced coffee concoction! We amped up the espresso tonic with a combination of turmeric and lemongrass for a spectacular aromatic beverage.
Lemongrass is commonly cultivated as a culinary and medicinal herb because of its scent and therapeutic properties. It is slightly sour with an earthy undertone and brings that crisp slight bitterness to this iced coffee recipe. The lemongrass pairs perfectly with the warm, peppery spice of the turmeric. These flavors are usually found in savory dishes like soups and curries, so what about trying it in a coffee drink?
The fresh, earthy flavors are unique but pair perfectly together. The addition of maple syrup (you can try another sweetener like agave or honey!) adds a sweetness that’ll make you never want a plain espresso tonic again!
Lemongrass Maple Espresso Tonic Recipe
Yield: Enough syrup for ~12 beverages
- 6 grams fresh turmeric root, peeled and chopped
- 6 stalks fresh lemongrass, peeled, sliced, and chopped (about 12 grams) + more for garnish
- 12 grams water
- 1 mandarin oranges (preferably satsuma)
- 367 grams maple syrup (can substitute honey, agave, or sorghum syrup)
- 1 500 gram bottle of Fever-Tree Premium Indian Tonic Water
- Double shot of espresso. We recommend Hologram.
- Create an infused maple syrup. Combine the chopped lemongrass, turmeric, water, and peel of the mandarin orange in a saucepan. Bring to a bowl and then simmer on low for 10 minutes. Strain out the solids. Stir in the maple syrup.
- Fill a tall glass with ice.
- Slice a 6-inch piece of peeled lemongrass stalk in half lengthwise, exposing the inner layers and place upright in the glass.
- Fill the glass with the tonic water, leaving a little room on top.
- In a separate cup, measure out 45 grams of the infused maple syrup.
- Pull a shot of espresso directly into the infused maple syrup. Stir to combine.
- Pour the espresso syrup combination over ice and tonic.
Make this drink at home and share your photos with us using #CounterCultureCoffee