Cheers to a creamy and tart drink that's as fun to make as it is to drink!
Rhubarb season is the best. With its sharp flavor and beautiful natural pink color, the stalks are very versatile. From pies to jam there are so many great recipes out there for taking full advantage of this springtime vegetable. While you've probably had a rhubarb dessert, you may not have experienced it in your coffee!
A "Shakerato" is an Italian drink that is made by shaking espresso, sugar or simple syrup, and ice. Think of it like an espresso martini, without the alcohol. While this drink can be simple, frothy, and delicious, you KNOW we had to give it a creative twist. The rhubarb, maple, thyme, and espresso combine to create a complex and refreshing beverage.
While this is not a difficult drink to make, it will take some time. You need to infuse and chill the cream and thyme overnight, so make sure you set aside the time before you dive in!
Rhubarb Maple Shakerato Recipe
- 454 grams (1 pound) chopped, fresh rhubarb
- 128 grams water
- 128 grams maple syrup
- 256 grams heavy cream
- 28 grams thyme
- 43 grams sugar
- Double shot of espresso. We recommend Hologram.
Rhubarb Syrup Instructions:
- Combine rhubarb and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off any foam that rises to the top with a spoon.
- Once the rhubarb has become uniformly mush, remove from heat and strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer. Reserve the separated mashed rhubarb to either spread on toast or use as an ice cream topping!
- Combine maple syrup and strained rhubarb liquid in a saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally, and remove from heat to cool.
- Once cooled, pour into a sealable container and refrigerate.
Thyme Infused Whipped Cream Instructions:
- Combine heavy cream and thyme in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat.
- Once simmering, cover with a lid and remove from heat. Let the mixture cool for 30 minutes, then refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Once chilled, strain out herbs.
- Pour cream into a cold mixing bowl and beat the cream until soft peaks form.
- Add in the sugar and whisk again until soft peaks return.
Drink Build Instructions:
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add 17 grams of the rhubarb syrup.
- Pull a double shot of espresso and pour into the cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously until combined.
- Strain into a glass.
- Top with a dollop of thyme whipped cream.
Make this drink at home and share your photos with us using #CounterCultureCoffee.