When it's too hot for the oven, it's time to turn to the fridge for dessert. A classic coffee dessert, an affogato is perfect for warmer months and is easy to make! If you're a fan of ice cream and coffee, look no further.
Affogatos are an Italian dessert with two key ingredients: ice cream (or gelato) and coffee. There are endless combinations when it comes to coffee, ice cream, and toppings, which makes it easy to find something that perfectly suits your tastes and the season. Vanilla ice cream is a great base, but pistachio, salted caramel, or chocolate are also crowd-pleasers. You can top your affogato with things like crushed nuts, cookie crumbles, or even your favorite candy bar to really take it up a notch.
The word "affogato" translates to "drowned" in English. In this case, drowning a scoop of ice cream with a shot of hot espresso. The combination of these two ingredients is something that people have been coming back to for years. Here's a quick rundown of this sweet and simple treat.
- 227 grams heavy whipping cream
- 1 gram sugar
- 1 scoop of ice cream
- You can try different flavors to create unique combinations that suit your taste! We recommend getting your ice cream from a fellow B Corp like Tillamook, Jeni’s, or Ben & Jerry’s.
- 2 ounce shot of espresso
- Make whipped cream. Combine heavy whipping cream and sugar in a Mason jar. Fasten the lid tightly and shake back and forth until the cream is lightly whipped - about 3-4 minutes. The cream is done when the noise of sloshing liquid cream becomes quiet.
- Scoop ice cream into a glass.
- Pull a shot of espresso and pour it over the ice cream.
- Top with whipped cream.
Make this drink at home and share your photos with us using #CounterCultureCoffee