This mulled cranberry coffee cocktail is a warm and cozy treat for the winter season. We love a coffee cocktail all year, but especially during the holidays. They serve as a great accent — basically a garnish for an already delicious meal. You can enjoy this coffee drink any time of day instead of waiting until dessert for something sweet.
The cranberry syrup with traditional mulling spices gives sweetness, warmth, and nice tart acidity to the coffee, while the white chocolate whipped cream topping brings some creamy decadence. The combination creates a warm and cozy treat that can be enjoyed with friends and family during the holiday season.
Winter Berry Coffee Cocktail Recipe
Yield: Syrup and whipped cream makes approximately 12 servings
- 283 grams (10 ounces) of hot coffee brewed as a drip coffee or French press
- 340 grams fresh - or frozen - cranberries
- 500 grams water
- 400 grams cane, turbinado, or demerara sugar
- 70 grams chopped fresh ginger root
- 15 grams whole allspice
- 15 grams whole cloves
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 3-4 orange peels, cut about 1” thick
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 50 grams white chocolate bar, chopped
- 473 grams (1 pint) heavy whipping cream
- Make a mulled cranberry syrup. In a medium saucepan, heat cranberries, water, sugar, chopped ginger, allspice, cloves, cinnamon sticks, orange peels, and salt to medium-high until it comes to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally for 10-15 minutes. Once the cranberries break down, the sugar dissolves, and the syrup has taken on a deep red color, remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Strain through a fine mesh and set aside.
- Make whipped cream. Melt white chocolate and 15 grams of heavy cream together. Beat the remaining heavy cream until it starts to thicken. While it’s still somewhat loose, whisk in the white chocolate mixture. Continue to whip until lightly whipped.
- Brew your coffee.
- Add 30 grams of the mulled cranberry syrup to a 10-12 oz coffee mug.
- Add in 250 grams of your freshly brewed coffee.
- Top with the whipped cream until the vessel is full.
Make this drink at home and share your photos with us using #CounterCultureCoffee